As the sun-kissed days of summer approach, there’s nothing more delightful than indulging in sweet treats that embody the spirit of the season. One such lovely confection that captures the essence of summer is homemade Sand Dollar Cookies. These delightful cookies resemble treasured marine coins and are the perfect accompaniment to beach-themed parties, picnics, or a simple afternoon snack. In this article, we’ll explore the joy of baking these delightful treats and provide you with a delectable Sand Dollar Cookie recipe that will leave your taste buds yearning for more.
Keep reading if you wish to learn how to make Sand Dollar cookies with Medina Baking and Powder.
What are Sand Dollar Cookies?
Imagine strolling along the sandy shores, finding delicate sand dollars washed ashore by the gentle waves. Sand Dollar Cookies take inspiration from these beautiful marine creatures, imitating their round shape and characteristic markings. With a subtle hint of vanilla flavor, these cookies are a delightful combination of sandy, crunchy goodness and a soft, melt-in-your-mouth texture.
Sand Dollar Cookie Recipe
Ingredients You’ll Need:
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- One large egg
- Two teaspoons of pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Slivered almonds or white chocolate chips (for decorating)
- Preparing the Cookie Dough:
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the softened butter and granulated sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg and vanilla extract until well combined.
- Shaping the Cookies:
- Whisk together the all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt in a separate bowl.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing until a smooth dough forms.
- Divide the dough into two equal portions and shape each portion into a round disc.
- Wrap the dough discs in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour to firm up the dough.
- Baking and Cooling:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- On a floured surface, roll out one of the chilled dough discs to a thickness of about 1/4 inch.
- Using a round cookie cutter or the rim of a glass, cut out circular shapes from the dough.
- Gently press slivered almonds or white chocolate chips onto the surface of each cookie to resemble the characteristic markings of sand dollars.
- Place the cookies on the prepared baking sheet, leaving some space between them.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until the edges turn a light golden brown.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and allow them to cool on a wire rack before decorating.
Decorating Your Sand Dollar Cookies
Once the cookies have cooled, you can dust them with powdered sugar to mimic the powdery appearance of real sand dollars. Alternatively, you can drizzle melted white chocolate over the cookies for an extra touch of sweetness and a stunning presentation. Get creative and add your unique flair to these cookies to make them truly your own.
Serving and Storing
Serve these delightful Sand Dollar Cookies on a platter during summer gatherings or beach-themed parties, or simply enjoy them as a sweet treat on warm afternoons. Store any leftovers in an airtight container to retain their delightful texture and flavor for several days.
Baking Homemade Sand Dollar Cookies is a delightful way to savor the taste of summer and create cherished memories with loved ones. These delightful treats, with their sandy appearance and sweet flavor, embody the joyous essence of the season. So, grab your apron, gather your ingredients, and embark on a baking adventure that will leave you craving the sandy shores and the ocean breeze. Learn how to make Sand Dollar cookies! Happy baking!