The winter holidays are upon us, and our Christmas present for you this year is a bunch of recipes for healthy Christmas desserts and treats. While most Christmas feasts include high calorie food and over sugared desserts, Medina Baking & Powder supply cares about your body and overall health. That’s why we prepared these 6 healthy Christmas dessert recipes, so you can share and enjoy them with your friends and family.
It’s time to get warm and cozy. Huddle together with your loved ones, get the oven ready, sip some hot cocoa and enjoy our delicious healthy Christmas treats!
Orange and Carrot Cake
Oranges and carrots are usually found as ingredients to juices or salads, but did you know you can use them to make a quick and healthy cake? You don’t have to worry if your kids don’t like vegetables, because they won’t even notice them in this cake. Another great thing about this dessert is that you can eat it for breakfast as well, seeing as how it’s full of nutrients that will give you the proper strength and vitamins you need during these cold winter days.
- 2 cups of flour
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- oranges and carrots
- 7 teaspoons of coconut palm sugar
- ½ cup of extra virgin coconut oil
- baking powder
Ingredients for topping:
- 2 spoons of extra virgin coconut oil
- 2 spoons of cocoa powder
- some milk
- some maple syrup with chocolate
- Shred the carrots and orange peel so that they fill about two cups.
- Squeeze a few oranges into a bowl and mix with coconut oil and sugar.
- Take another bowl and mix the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and chopped nuts. Add orange juice, carrot and orange peel mix, and a touch of milk.
- Shape into cake form and it’s ready to go into the oven on 350 degrees for 40 minutes.
- To make the topping, just combine all the ingredients from above and heat them for about 2-3 minutes until they become thick, then just pour the topping over the cake.
- Put the cake in the fridge and it will be ready to serve in about 2 hours.
Chocolate Chia Muffins
This dessert has no gluten, no eggs, and no flour. It may seem hard to prepare it without these ingredients, but the chia seeds are the secret ingredient that does the trick here, and they are very healthy as well.
Chia seeds are filled with Omega−3 fatty acids, protein, fiber, Manganese, Zinc, vitamins A, B, D, and E. Also, they have three times more iron than spinach. Amazing, right?
- ¼ cup of cocoa powder or chocolate protein
- ¼ cup of chia seeds
- ¼ spoon of baking powder
- ½ spoon of baking soda
- ¼ spoon of liquid stevia
- 4 spoons of water
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Take a bowl and put chia seeds, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and stevia.
- Mix it all together, add water, and stir gently. (Option: use soy milk instead of water)
- Use the coconut oil to grease the muffin tray for baking. Pour the mix into the mold and bake for 20 minutes.
Creamy Banana Cake
This dessert is very easy and quick to make. It’s perfect when you crave for something sweet, and you don’t have the time or skills to make something more demanding. We have only two main ingredients here: coconut powder and bananas. Coconut powder is becoming very popular among healthy snacks due to its high amount of fibers and protein, while being low in calories and glycaemic index (GI).
- ½ cup of coconut flour
- 1 spoon of cinnamon
- 1 spoon of nutmegs
- 1 cup of mashed bananas
- ½ spoon of baking powder
- ¼ cup of maple syrup
- ¼ cup of nutmeg butter
- a little vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- a hint of cocoa seeds (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Take one large bowl and a small one. Put the dry ingredients in the large bowl and mix. Put the eggs and vanilla extract in the other, stir them very slightly and then pour in the large bowl.
- Add melted butter, bananas, and maple syrup
- Form the mix into a shape so that everything glues together and grease the baking tray with some oil. Add cocoa seeds before baking.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
Strawberry Blender Cake
This could be seen as a mix between a cheesecake and ice-cream cake. We’re not exactly sure how to categorize it, but we do know it’s very tasty and only takes about 15 minutes to prepare.
Since we’re using strawberries and a blender we decided to call it a strawberry blender cake! When you finish preparing the base and topping, all you need to do is put the cake in the fridge and wait until it gets cold enough for you to enjoy.
Ingredients for the base:
- 170 grams of almonds
- a little pepper and salt
- 2 teaspoons of cocoa powder
For the cream:
- 150 grams of cashew
- 5 teaspoons of maple syrup
- 500-600 grams of strawberries
- coconut cream
- Mix the almonds and cocoa, add salt and pepper, and a little water to make the mix creamy
- Take the rest of the ingredients and mix them in the blender (carefully pour the coconut cream into the blender so as not to make the mix too thin)
- Put the base in the baking tray and pour the blender mix on top
- Slice some strawberries and add them on top for dressing
- Put the cake in the fridge and serve after 2 hours
Chocolate Brownies with Pumpkin
We know you love brownies, who doesn’t? But have you ever tried brownies with a secret, unsuspected ingredient? In case you have some pumpkins left over from Halloween, this a great opportunity to use them. Don’t worry about calories for these brownies, we made sure to include healthy ingredients, just like for all the deserts in this healthy Christmas special.
- 250 grams of cooked mashed pumpkins
- 3 teaspoons of hazelnut cream
- 4 teaspoons of maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon of coconut powder
- 5 teaspoons of butternut pumpkin flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- a little salt and a dozen sliced hazelnuts
- Mix the mashed pumpkin, hazelnut cream, eggs, syrup, and vanilla
- Add flour, baking powder, cocoa, cinnamon, and salt
- Add one half of the sliced nuts in the mix, and the other half on top
- Bake for 25 minutes on 350 degrees
- Let the brownies cool before serving
Quick and Easy Mug Cake
The last recipe we prepared for you is going to be the easiest and fastest one so far. However, it doesn’t mean it’s going to be any less healthy than the others. All you need for this dessert is 5 ingredients and 10 minutes of your time to prepare.
- 1 banana
- 1 egg
- 2-3 teaspoons of cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon of birch sugar
- ¼ cup of almond milk
- Mix all the ingredients together into a firm shape
- Fill a mug or cup of your choice with the mix and make sure it can go in the oven
- Bake for 12 minutes on 350 degrees
That’s all we have for this healthy Christmas edition. We hope you enjoyed our low sugar Christmas desserts for healthy Christmas baking. If you want more, or if you have any questions, feel free to contact us, we are more than happy to help.